Thursday, August 2, 2012

1991 Topps #21 Joe Morgan

In this series, I look at my first team set: 1991 Topps.  This was the set I started my baseball card collection with.
One of the first things that really stuck out to me about Topps, as opposed to the other brands released in 1991, was the fact that Topps created cards of managers.  Joe Morgan, not to be confused with the Reds great player, was a reasonably successful manager, helping the Red Sox to division titles in 1988 and 1990.  Both years they were eliminated easily by the Oakland Athletics.  1990 was a down year for the offense, but Morgan rode a surprisingly effective pitching staff to the division title.  He got career years from Tom Bolton and Dana Kiecker, as well as good seasons from Roger Clemens, Mike Boddicker, and Greg Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment