Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Time to Write About Martin Perez

Since I am showing off this card:


This is the Gold Press Proof numbered to five.  I really liked Perez in 2020, and he had some decent moments in 2021, but was on the mound during the disaster late in Game 4 of the ALCS.  Perez is a free agent and I think it is very unlikely that he will be back in Boston next season.  During his Red Sox tenure, Perez was 10-13 with a 4.65 ERA.  He struck out 143 and walked 64 in 176 innings pitched.

What I liked about Perez was how much he seemed to enjoy pitching in Boston.  He was active on social media and seemed to delight in interacting with fans.  He really seemed to like being in Boston.  And while he was pitching reasonably well, Boston fans loved him back.  But, sometime during 2021, that changed.  He was moved to the bullpen and had some decent moments there, but even that success was fleeting.     

Perez was one of my favorite pickups during the 2020 season, but it is likely time to move on.

2 comments:

  1. Depending on the money, I wouldn't be horribly upset if he came back as a depth/long relief option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perez actually performed a bit better than I'd expected when the Sox signed him. Not great, but not terrible.

    ReplyDelete