Friday, June 24, 2016

The Week in Red Sox Cards

I have fallen behind again.  It has been a long, rough week at work.  Boston has not been playing particularly well lately, but that does not really stop me from accumulating cards.  This week I have received a number of trade packages, I have also picked up a box of Topps Series 2, and even added some Jason Varitek cards to my collection:
This first scan mostly consists of some Panini needs.  What is interesting is that a couple of these lesser-known players actually made it back to the Majors recently.  Deven Marrero has been playing the infield a little but lately as Travis Shaw has been slumping and to get some rest for Dustin Pedroia and Xander Bogaerts.  Bryce Brentz was recalled for the first time since 2014 due to injuries to Brock Holt, Blake Swihart, and Chris Young.  Guess that Rusney Castillo assignment was a little short-sighted.
And some more stuff.  I got two of the Archives cards with the 1991 design, and they do not disappoint, particularly the Ted Williams which is actually a different photo.  And of course I really like the Xander Bogaerts Diamond King.  I have always enjoyed the Diamond Kings.  Bogaerts is a worthy choice.
And this closes out the first batch of trades with some nice parallels of lesser favorite players Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Tom Gordon, and an awesome insert of Jacoby Ellsbury.  I liked these Starting Points inserts.  A nice look back at the origins of some good players.
My Topps Series 2 blaster did not produce too many Red Sox.  Future Star cards of Blake Swihart and Eduardo Rodriguez, two players that have had more downs than ups recently.  Also this duo checklist card of David Ortiz and David Price.
And today's new cards includes a couple of wantlist hits, including top prospect Yoan Moncada, who could be knocking at the door of the Majors soon.  And then, four new Jason Varitek cards.  I was surprised I did not have any of these honestly.  I now have 888 Varitek cards.  Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment