Saturday, August 24, 2013

1991 Topps #450 Wade Boggs

In this series, I look at my first team set: 1991 Topps. This was the set I started my baseball card collection with.
This was the card that was staring at me on the front of the team set package when I picked it up.  The Boggs card is one of the greatest cards from this team set.  The background with the cloudy sky makes this card one of the more interesting cards in the entire set.  This was not my first Wade Boggs card, in fact it was my third, I had the Donruss and Score cards from 1991 first, but it was definitely one of my early favorites and possibly had a large part to do in making Boggs my first favorite player.

Boggs of course was an outstanding hitter, but he was coming off his worst season to date in 1990.  Boggs hit just .302/.386/.418 with six home runs and 63 RBIs.  A good season by most players' standards, but not by Boggs.  He was still an All Star though and had a decent season.

Boggs would come back to have his last great season with the Red Sox in 1991 before having his worst season in 1992.  After the season he signed with the Yankees as a free agent.  It took a long time before I forgave him for that.  This card though represents a better time.

No comments:

Post a Comment