Saturday, October 16, 2010

How I Became a Red Sox Fan


This story is embarassing. But here it goes anyway. What I am about to tell you very few people knew before. But I was 10 years old, what do you expect?

Anyway. When I was 10, it was 1991 and we were on summer vacation. I had gone to a garage sale across the street the day before and bought two very cheap baseball cards. One was a 1990 Score Charles Nagy Indians card and the other was a 1990 Upper Deck Dave Johnson Orioles card. My older brother had collected baseball cards sporadically a couple years earlier but started to become more interested since I was now considering collecting. Well he and I walked to the Kwik Shop just a block away and each bought a pack of 1991 Topps. Back then, a pack of baseball cards cost $0.50 and you got 15 cards. Man, I sound old.

I don't remember exactly what was in the pack except for two cards. One was Dennis Lamp and the other was Tom Bolton. Both Red Sox cards, neither player was exactly a star, more like role players. Bolton had a decent year as the number four starter and Lamp was toward the end of his career. Well I wanted to decide on a favorite team. This is where things get embarassing. I usually tell people that it's because I got two Red Sox in my first pack that I became a Red Sox fan. That's only part of the story.

I played eenie meenie minie moe. That's right. I decided on the Red Sox because they were "it".

I was 10, what do you expect? Rationality?

No comments:

Post a Comment